I cannot speak for USB with N wifi but do run an ath9k PCI card as a Hostap
server with N speeds, although not 5 GHz. It runs fine as WPA2 CCMP. It is
getting more features as it matures.(I have run this setup for 2 years now)

I also have an Intel 4965AGN mini PCI card in a netbook that only works to 150
Mbps(be careful of this some cards only do 150 not 300), it has worked well on
5 GHz at Google cannot remember the exact speed, sorry.

On a Ralink RT2860 I have seen 90 Mbps iperf through concrete to the ath9k 2.4
GHz Access Point I mentioned above on Ralinks own proprietary drivers. Last
time I tried with the rt2x00 or Testing drivers I had issues.

A good starting point might be :
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers

good luck

Brett