Ok, thanks John.

I've tried lots since this thread started to the extent I installed a whole fresh machine on 192 subnet only, skimmed dhcpd and named confs down to a simple, by the book, 1 domain setup and I still get the same problem even on the fresh host. And this is a CentOS 5.5 (final) install. I.e. the latest they publish.

Reply from update query:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: UPDATE, status: _*NOTAUTH*_, id:  39734
;; flags: qr ra ; ZONE: 0, PREREQ: 0, UPDATE: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1
;; TSIG PSEUDOSECTION:
domain1.com. 0 ANY TSIG hmac-md5.sig-alg.reg.int. 1297906252 300 16 <someSecretHashHere> 39734 NOERROR 0

If I'm "reserving" an IP for a specific host in dhcpd.conf, am I supposed to then be already placing a PTR record in the reverse zone file for the reservation?

If so, doesn't that simply defeat the whole purpose of dhcp?

Kind Regards

Kyle