On Saturday 05 March 2011 09:00:02 slug-requ...@slug.org.au wrote:
> I'm investigating Linux for seniors, wondering if anyone has any
> pointers.
>
> One of my relatives is getting frail :-( and having more and more
> problems - randomly clicking/dragging stuff, destroying applications and
> the desktop, etc. A computer for them = "email, ninemsn (ie web)", and
> occasionally "get photos from camera, print stuff".
>
> So far Ubuntu Remix looks good (big icons, simplified). Or maybe
> standard Ubuntu desktop and use Pessulus [1] to lock it down a bit.
>
> Any other suggestions?

I agree the ubuntu remix (10.04 not 10.10) makes a very nice desktop.
My far-away-AH of a brother runs my 85yo mother on KDE. She struggles lots,
not finding icons in the task bar, not being able to see ... <aaaargh>

I run my 70yo father-in-law on straight ubuntu. The nightmare of virus-
scanners, trojans et al are a thing of the past. 'I love linux' is his
utterance and recently he 'converted his neighbour' by installing 10.10 on her
HP laptop.

I run the 90yo mother of a mate on 10.04 remix and I never hear from her
except via the grandchildren to whom she sings praise about james.

I think a great loss occured from 10.04 to 10.10 on ubuntu remix.
(And it is very non-trivial to fix)
James