On Tuesday 08 March 2011 09:07:18 you wrote:
> Hey James,
>
> How did you manage this? My mother won't let me
> install GNU/Linux in her. I've tried a few times,
> but she won't sit still long enough for me to get
> either a Live CD or USB flash drive inserted. I've
> tried rebooting first to get to the BIOS but she
> gets rather upset about the idea.
>
> Is there a web-page or other source with
> instructions that would help?
>
> Maybe we could have an install-on-a-relo day one
> weekend????

My dreaded father-in-law is in the UK. I built a disk, sent it to him and was
pleased to have him pick up the ball and run.

My mate's mother is a bit deaf. I took my noisiest (and unused on account of
it being noisy) machine and installed and presented it. It was accepted, used
and I was rewarded with 'Bluddy ell grandma, that's linux, how'd you do THAT'
:-)

Finally my mother is in South Africa. My brother installed a machine for her,
and while his zeal is admirable, KDE as a desktop is too complicated for her
and not being able to do youtube means the 'machine is broken'

So, no, there was no recipie. I found that the whole virus scanner, registry
edit thing too hard for them to manage. All liked their solution and I guess
that made it much easier.

I guess that
It does what you want (eg my father-in-law spends hours with OOcalc reliving
all his lotus days)
The interface is simple (That is why I waxed enthusiastic about 10.04 remix)

is all you need. I definitly think an ADSL/router with dhcp makes the
firewall/forwarding/ip-address picture easier.

:-) James