On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 11:14 AM, gonzo01 <gonz...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> I'm using Linux Mint 10.0 64 bit with a Billion ADSL 2+ modem/router on a
> gigabit network ( modem/router has Gigabit ports).
>
> Recently my ISP upgraded my plan from 1500/256 to 8000/354.
>
> My download speed has gone from around 150 KiBs to around 250 KiBs.
>
> the Modem stats show
>
> Upstream 384
> Downstream 2368
> SNR upstream 6.0
> SNR Downstream 5.9
> Line Attentuation Upstream 31.5
> Line Attenuation Downstream 44.0
>
> Ping ( according to Optus Speedtest) = 45 ms
>
> Are these figures reasonable? 2368 downstream is around a 60% increase but
> is at the bottom end of the range according to Optus Speedtest.
>
> Is there anything I can check/do to increase downstream speed?
>
> Havent found anything usefull by Googling.
>
> I'm aware that distance from exchange and quality of line isimportant.

Depends how far you are from the exchange, as you've said.

Hit the following web site

http://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au

and type your address into the "Address lookup" box on the left of the screen.

I've found the estimates provided by this site to be reasonably
accurate (plus or minus about 10%).

If the suggested rate varies more than that from what you're seeing,
you can try the following.

1) Remove ALL extension cables from your phone socket to your modem -
get the line connection from your modem on as short a piece of cable
as you can before it plugs into the actual modem.

2) Pay someone to re-terminate your phone socket from the boundary
point - usually in the street - with new cable and socket.

3) Make sure your modem has the latest possible working firmware on it.

4) Call your ISP and see if they can help.

DaZZa