On Wed, May 11, 2011 2:00 am, Jeremy Visser wrote:

> gonzo01 said:
>> Line Attentuation Upstream 31.5
>> Line Attenuation Downstream 44.0
>> Are these figures reasonable?

Bigpond ADSL, I'm just outside the 1.5k exchange inner band
TPG page says: Line of sight: 1630m. Possible cable dist.: 2295m.

I get:

DSL Connection Details
DSL Line (Wire Pair):   Line 1 (inner pair)
Protocol:       G.DMT2 Annex A
Downstream Rate:        5630 kbps
Upstream Rate:  747 kbps
Channel:        Interleaved
Current Noise Margin:   12.5 dB (Downstream) 16.5 dB (Upstream)
Current Attenuation:    40.7 dB (Downstream) 22.3 dB (Upstream)
Current Output Power:   19.3 dBm (Downstream) 11.9 dBm (Upstream)

does that look reasonable ?

it all seems to work OK, no real problems

Question:

I use a 5 metre extension cord from wall subsocket to ADSL, and, the phone
sockets is perhaps 15 metres from Telstra 'sub' MDF

I've been tempted to hook up a (parallel) phone wire off the MDF to a
dedicated wall socket for ADSL

so, replace existing 15? meteres old wiring + 3 meters to subsocket off
original T socket+ 5 metre extension
with 4 meter dedicate ADSL socket from MDF

is it worth the effort, will I see real improvement?
(or just a warm fuzzy feeling that's it's done properly?)

--
Voytek