2 or 3 yr old pc running SiS-661 chipset, celeron and 1GB. So your average every day bog standard pc with an 80GB IDE HDD.

Ubuntu 10.10 runs fine from live CD, albeit a bit slow. Even installs fine, albeit slow.

Used to dual-boot XP / Ubuntu till me dear sweet mother asked me to add in an old disk of hers formatted in FAT32. Suddenly, it popped up with;

"Boot disk priority has changed. Please enter setup to check bla blah blah." Never booted since.

FAT32 disk since removed. Original disk wiped, partition table wiped, reinstalled Ubuntu only. MBR zeroed out and full OS re-install.

And the bloody thing STILL won't find the OS on boot. Does POST, finds HDD + 2 CD's, tries to boot from CD, then comes;

"DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"

Boot from live cd again; run fdisk, far as fdisk concerned all partitions there with sda1 marked as boot. MEMTest all good. Everything seems right. Only peculiarity I can see is despite wiping partition table and writing empty table to re-boot again from disc, is when creating partitions it gives me sda1, sda5 (swap) and sda6 (/). What happened to sda's 2, 3 & 4?

BIOS shows this disc as first in HDD boot order after CD's.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to why this thing simply refuses to locate the boot partition please?