K> I have thrice now wiped the entire disk and re-installed, including
K> physically zero-ing out the first 512 bytes (which I understand to
K> be the MBR) so I would've expected the re-installs to deal with
K> that.  But happy to give this a go tonight when I get home.

peter> Oh, if you're doing a reinstall, that's (slightly) different.
peter> In that case, check that the disk is visible in the BIOS ---
peter> especially if you've fiddled around with the hardware.
peter> sometimes the BIOS needs to be re-told that it should be looked
peter> at to boot from.

(I see you've already done this.  Grrr.  I really should reread the
entire thread before replying).

The only think I can think is that when you're reinstalling Ubuntu
itfor some reason thinks there's already a boot sector at the start of
the disk and so isn't installing a new one.

Peter C

K> ----- Original Message ----- From: pe...@chubb.wattle.id.au To:
K> "Kyle" <k...@attitia.com> Cc: slug@slug.org.au Sent: Thursday, 9
K> June, 2011 9:22:44 Subject: Re: [SLUG] PC won't recognise boot disk

K> Sounds like the MBR is corrupt.  From your live CD use the
K> install-mbr program to reinstate it.

K> You'll *probably* need to say, install-mbr /dev/sda if there's only
K> one hard disc present.

K> Peter C -- SLUG - Sydney Linux User's Group Mailing List -
K> http://slug.org.au/ Subscription info and FAQs:
peter> -- SLUG - Sydney Linux User's Group Mailing List -
peter> http://slug.org.au/ Subscription info and FAQs: