On 21 June 2011 16:43, Brendan Molloy <bren...@bbqsrc.net> wrote:
> You could also consider the WOT tool: http://www.mywot.com/.
>
> It's ja plugin for a web browser that shows a rating based on child
> safety, trustworthiness, etc, so instead of purely blocking, simply
> explain to your child links that show up with an orange circle shouldn't
> be taken at face value, and red circled links should be possibly avoided
> entirely. The ratings are set by users of the client itself, so
> crowd-sourced classification.
>
> I've been using WOT for a while now. Very nice for avoiding random
> phishing links on Google :)

Child safety online is a critical factor in my line of work. People
have developed the idea that filtering equals safety.

I would argue that it is much better in the long run to place the
filters in the kids' heads, i.e. educate them to look after
themselves.

I haven't tried WOT, but it sounds like a tool that could be used in
this way. I'd be very interested to know of any other tools that may
assist in achieving this outcome.

Sridhar

--
"Our mission is to enhance learning opportunities for the 400,000
children, aged 4-15, living in remote Australia, by providing each one