Adrian Chadd wrote:
Everything quoted so far leverages free software. "Linux" is a small
part of it.

I think the GCC developers may be a bit peeved if all the credit went
to Linux rather than them (and the Redhat backing it in the past); similarly
with LLVM and all the open contributions being made there. (Yes, that
includes by Apple.)

It doesn't matter whether Linux dies or not (for value of "die"), IMHO
what matters is that all the free software that makes a useful system
useful is still there and ticking along.

However, the issue is which fork or even distro to invest both time and money. Ubuntu made Gnome and killed KDE (via Knoppix), for me at least. Redhat is Fedora. Simon recently suggested a Gnome Fork

Yeah Ubiquity is a dog.  I've found Gnome3's shell achieves what Unity aims
for a bit better in the netbook environment. But on my desktops, I've
reverted to "Gnome Classic".  I see an Ubuntu fork coming, and I'll be
taking the exit!
<http://lists.slug.org.au/archives/slug/2011/06/msg00139.html>,

Though perhaps Linux is dead ...
Browsing the lists