On 29/06/11 14:09, Rachel Polanskis wrote:
My definition of "nanny state" is that it is a phrase used by those who would
let a dog bite you repeatedly while ensuring it is always your right for it to
do so.
LOL

Couldn't have said it better. Except when it's the States dog doing the biting...THEN there's a problem :)

There are people in our society who for one reason or another tend to make bad
choices
while asserting it is their right.  When a government or organisation
intervenes to mitigate
the situation it will often be accused of this "nannyism" by vested interests
who would prefer
that the bad choices be allowed to continue,

Oh come on now. You've gone too far with this. British American Tobacco, Hardies, the mining companies and the nuclear power station owners cannot surely be considered to have vested interests.

The usage of the phrase recently by right wing lobby groups is both effective
and
wrong.   They assert that<insert behaviour here>  is the right of the
individual, but
the concern is not for the individual, but for the continuation of practices
that ensure
that the lobby group's masters retain their revenue stream/control over the
individual/ideological process or some other outcome usually aimed at
strengthening the behaviour.

Jeeeeeez Louise, now your sounding like a first year sociology student - and I ought to know!

;)

> When I hear the phrase "nanny state", I shudder and then look at who is
saying it.
Usually their background will indicate a far less savoury connection that is
not at all
interested in your rights.

rachel

Well, there goes my donation to the mining companies to help them fight against that nasty tax. I mean, really, how can we possibly not help them? This tax will only ensure that money resulting from the sale of community assets (stuff in the ground) will be returned to the community rather than be spent by some oligarch or bazzillionaire on a new Ferrari, Lear Jet or their forty fifth house.

What an outrageous thing to do to people like Gina-Rinhehart-soon-to-be-the-worlds-richest-person!

http://blogs.forbes.com/clareoconnor/2011/06/28/this-woman-may-soon-be-richer-than-carlos-slim-and-bill-gates/

How will she survive?

Patrick