This is not really on-topic, but I've Googled it with no success, so I'm hoping the collective wisdom can either come up with a response or tell me where to look for one.

I'm currently converting my paper book collection to eBooks by chopping them up and running them through a scanner with an automatic document feeder. Up till now I have been using a cheap multifunction printer which does the job reasonably well. But either the printer feed mechanism is getting worn out, or I'm getting on to books with a different quality of paper in, because lately the proportion of pages that need rescanning has risen from under 5% to about 25%.

My question is this: given that my printer cost $79, and a dedicated sheet-feed scanner costs $400 and up, am I going to get a better success rate if I purchase one of those rather than just buying a new cheap printer? The price difference leads me to believe I will, but I can't find any comparisons on the web between scanning success rates for multifunction printers and dedicated scanners. Is there any difference in the actual mechanics, and if so what?

It's a long time since I worked in an office. Is there anyone out there familiar enough with these devices to provide an answer, or tell me where to find one? For the record, the printer has already scanned well over 8000 pages.

Thanks in advance,

Jon.