On Tue, 2011-09-06 at 10:45 +1000, Chris Barnes wrote:
> i worked at a mortgage lender years back and one of the departments
> had these expensive scanners because they would scan piles of 20+ page
> contracts all day with lightening speed.

Expensive scanners tend not to skew the pages when feeding them in.
The quality of the scan (not the bit rate just general clarity) is
better.  The feed mechanism is a LOT better, for huge volumes it is
worth it.  Image capture was always a challenge.

Since I scan and mail on crappy printers at low res for bank use (my
banker accepts scanned signed documents for some things).   Mostly it is
not that important.

Clarity of photo scanning on the other hand,  I do very high res scans
then tune them down.  It takes a LONG time on a simple multifunction
printer.

Problem with buying good gear is how quickly they age.   A cheap printer
today is thrown away.  A good quality scanner today will be overtaken by
a cheap scanner tomorrow.  If you cannot amortise the cost over 2 years
then think carefully.