Thanks for all the responses. I ended up taking Mint off the server and using Windows XP, mainly because there is no Linux driver for one of my printers (a Samsung CLP-325). I did try and get around that by having VirtualBox start up and load virtualised Windows XP when the server was switched on, but it all got too complicated and we had reliability problems.

I should point out, though, that the problem was not communicating with the server, but actually mounting a share from the server in a directory on my main PC -- and I needed to do that in order to run Lucky Backup.

I've commented before about what seems to me to be the unnecessary grief caused by a massive over-proliferation of printer (and other) drivers. I've yet to see why fifty different printers all performing the same basic functions should require fifty-plus different and incompatible sets of software to run them.

And I can't help thinking that Linux would benefit from something like the Windows Network Setup Wizard and the Tools/Map Network Drive option in the Windows Explorer -- both of which have been around for well over ten years now.

But thanks again, and I will try some of the suggestions if and when a suitable printer driver becomes available.

Jon.