Thus spake Jon Jermey:
> I did try and get around that by having
> VirtualBox start up and load virtualised Windows XP when the server was
> switched on, but it all got too complicated and we had reliability
> problems.

VirtualBox isn't really designed for headless server operation. Though
VBoxHeadless exists, I'd recommend using libvirt [0] instead to avoid
having to reinvent the wheel.

> And I can't help thinking that Linux would benefit from something like
> the Windows Network Setup Wizard and the Tools/Map Network Drive option
> in the Windows Explorer -- both of which have been around for well over
> ten years now.

The Network Setup Wizard doesn't do anything other than set your
hostname/workgroup and configure your IP address. Not only that, but
Microsoft themselves evidently removed the feature -- at least my
Windows 7 system doesn't have it.

(No, the "Set up a new connection or network" is completely unrelated.)

What functionality that the wizard provides were you specifically after?

And as for Tools > Map Network Drive, whatever is wrong with Places >
Connect to Server?

[0] https://help.ubuntu.com/11.04/serverguide/C/libvirt.html