On Thursday 13 October 2011 22:14:14 Rod Butcher wrote:
> My budget for this is tiny, $100 max for the whole setup, as it's only
> for training, and I don't want to acquire hardware I will have no use
> for afterward...
> So I'm trying to get specific info on whether it is possible to
> configure a Linux PC with a cheap 80211g/n PCI card to provide a
> reasonably full-featured WAP - user/computer credential validation, data
> encryption, network and Internet access.
> It's fairly simple to configure multiple Ethernet network cards on a
> Linux box to provide routing and Internet access (iptables & NAT)... I
> had assumed a similar software solution should be possible for
> wifi-based LAN. ??

It is possible, depending on the card. The card has to be able to go into AP
mode, and the drivers have to be able to support that. It is usually the
drivers that let you down, since stand-alone APs are cheap so there isn't a
high level of demand for device drivers to do AP mode.

The real question though is, assuming you find the right equipment and drivers,
how much is this going to help you to learn configuration on stand-alone APs,
and especially the ones running (for whatever reason) the more expensive
router operating systems.

The Linux based configuration might teach you the basic principles, but it
won't teach you how to configure the more overpriced router operating systems.

If you are looking at basic principles, you should look at some of the cheaper
stand-alone wireless APs, which will come well within the $100 budget. Either
leave the original OS intact, or get hardware that can run DD-WRT (preferably
the Mega version, subject to finding hardware within your budget) and install
that. Or learn on the factory firmware and move to DD-WRT later to get a feel
for the differences, although that will be of limited use with the more
expensive stuff.

Regards,
Troy Rollo
Solicitor
Parry Carroll
Commercial Lawyers
Direct: (02) 8257 3177
Fax: (02) 9221 1375
Switch: (02) 9221 3899
E-mail: t...@parrycarroll.com.au
Web: www.parrycarroll.com.au

Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards
Legislation

This message and any attachments are confidential to Parry Carroll. If you
have received it my mistake, please let us know by reply and then delete it
from your system. You must not copy the message, alter it or disclose its
contents to anyone. Thank you.