The problem, unfortunately is:

* Supporting 30+ connections on a single AP is doable;
* .. and the commercial APs do it;
* .. but that source isn't open source.

So in short, you can likely support 30+ clients associating to an Atheros based
device (but there's limitations on hardware encryption keycache slots and I
haven't ever tested Linux/FreeBSD to see how they cope if you associate more
than the available keycache slots) but without the { hacks, clever things } done
by commercial firmware, it's going to be hit and miss.

If you'd like to _write_ those hacks, I'll tell you what they are and help you
write them for contribution back to Linux/FreeBSD. (As figured out by yours
truely,
not by any kind of reverse engineering or via NDAs.)

Adrian

(Yes, I hack on 802.11 stack stuff and Atheros driver source these days.)