I think you've skipped a bit there, Glen.

Glen Turner <g...@gdt.id.au>
Mon, 14 Nov 2011 16:00:02 +1030
As a little thought experiment, here's the mouseclicks to launch a word
processor:

> - MacOS - 3 - "Applications | LibreOffice | TextDocument"

For my mother-in-law and others like her:

You've missed the bit where they have to remind themselves of what the application is called that they rarely use or they've just tried installing and that they have to scan the dock (depending on how big it is) to find an icon which may or may not relate to the item they're looking for).

SO:

Scan a HUGE list of items trying to remember the name of the application you used ages ago and maybe can't recall. Click on possibility, application starts and you find it's the wrong one. Try again.

>   - Windows 7 - 3 -  "Win | LibreOffice | Writer"

You've missed the bit where they have to remind themselves of what the application is called that they rarely use or they've just tried installing and that they have to scan the applications list (depending on how big it is) to find an icon or name which may or may not relate to the item they're looking for).

SO:

Scan a HUGE list of items trying to remember the name of the application you used ages ago and maybe can't recall. Click on possibility, application starts and you find it's the wrong one. Try again.

> - GNOME3 - 4 - "Activities | Applications | Office | LibreOffice Writer"

Haven't used GNOME3 but in KDE you can find things stored under headings which relate to what the application does. Very nice and easy for people to navigate.

Mind you, a mouse-over should be the primary option rather than a mouse-click.

None of this is to argue the virtues of GNOME3 as I've not tried it, just to be more accurate in how many users experience their UI.

:)

Regards,

Patrick