Hi all,

I know this comes under the 'Doh' list but...

I have a fresh Ubuntu 10.04 install. On this particular machine I want a static address - I'm going to try out OpenSim (long story for later).

This machine runs off a hub which is in turn connected to my modem/router.

I've edited the /etc/network/interfaces file as follows:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.0.12
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.0.1

but no success. The machine is simply not happy (I've also lost the network icon from the toolbar - another story) and doesn't want to connect to the network.

Should I just give up and assign an address to the machine's mac address via the router or is there something simple (I'm guessing so) that I'm missing.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Patrick

--