Thus spake elliott-brennan:
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet static
> address 192.168.0.12
> netmask 255.255.255.0
> gateway 192.168.0.1

The above is correct (I assume eth0 is the interface you are trying to
configure).

Dumb question, but have you tried rebooting? NetworkManager may still
assume ownership of the device (and will do so until the service is
restarted).

It is possible to restart NetworkManager and /etc/init.d/networking
on-the-fly, but might be easier for me if I just tell you to reboot.

Also can you elaborate on the deliciously vague:

> but no success. The machine is simply not happy (I've also lost the
> network icon from the toolbar - another story) and doesn't want to
> connect to the network.

Losing the network icon from the toolbar is a Feature, Not A Bug™ (as
NetworkManager is no longer controlling the interface) but “doesn’t want
to connect to the network” doesn’t tell me anything.

Jeremy.