On 06/02/2012, at 9:00 AM, slug-requ...@slug.org.au wrote:

> FOSS vs proprietary software is not a fetish. It's an ethical issue.
> As much as making decisions as to what sort of school (or even whether
> you send your children to school), or whether you will become a
> vegetarian or NOT be a vegetarian is an ethical issue.
>
> Some people can be accused of presenting their ethical positions in an
> almost religiously fundamentalist fashion and can be accused of being
> dramatic or dogmatic. Usually this is more a result of their personal
> presentation and inability to calmly or clearly discuss their
> position. In neither case is this a reflection of the validity of
> their views, more the response they receive and the reputation  that
> results.
>
> It's even possible some people do 'fetishise' the subject of
> FOSS/Properietary software. I think this is the case with things like
> Apple products. However, this does not make the subject any less an
> ethical issue.
>
> If you are serious in phrasing it as a 'fetish' then I'd suggest
> looking up the difference.
>
> That said, I don't know if you are serious and I could be seriously
> oblivious to a subtle, dry humorous comment. In which case: My big.

Patrick
I absolutely and strongly disagree.

BTW I'm older a wiser than yesterday: fetish has sexual connetations, fettish
does not.

<feels like otto apologising in 'A Fish called Wanda> If I choose to use
windows then the only and remote moral issue is MS use the money I fed them to
wreck havoc on the world. Under american law that is their bounden duty.
[California introduces a moral corporation]
To try to introduce your fettish as an ethical issue smacks of religious
fundermentalism.

I think a group like us who see the one-true-way risk being sidelined (when
there are important issues at stake) if we loose track of the ball and even
start to believe that freedom is a moral issue.
Certainly if you try to argue with the PM linux for every kid because Windoze
is immoral you are going to find your self ignored.
While this thread drifts OT the basic issue is tremendously important for us as
a group.

IMHO
James--