-----Original Message-----
From: Marghanita da Cruz
Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2012 12:31 PM
To: slug
Subject: [SLUG] Linux and Apache limits on number of files in a directory

Hi All,

Does anyone know what the limit is on the number of files in Linux
Directories and Apache Directories?

Also, any idea what happens if you hit the limit?
---

While I now the limit on a directory is very large it is NOT a good idea to
fill it.   I had major performance problems on a system that recorded every
file into a single directory.   I found that performance improved substantially
just by structuring a couple of subdirectories.

If you look at cricket archive it uses a magic number for every player,  there
are possibly close to 1 million players by now (700,000+ last time I checked).
 It uses grouping of 1000 to reduce the number of entries that it searches.  so
0/900, 1/1789,   214/214759.   When I downloaded the players in a single
directory on my computer after download the directory management took it toll
on my application,  following the same directory structure had a massive
improvement on performance,  a simple divide gave me the directory.

Thanks
Ken