In all seriousness, it's simple enough to run up Apache with the
workload you think you want (even if the filenames are nonsense and the
file contents all identical). So do that. Then you can do your capacity
planning with numbers rather than assumptions.

The point of a CMS isn't to quickly serve files. It's to easily
administer content. Everyone runs a cache in front of their CMS, and the
CMSs themselves are designed to work that way. There isn't much
difference in serving speed between the cache and Apache.

Having said that, it's amazing how many these "small percentages"
whittle away performance. We serve about 8TB a day from one machine
running Apache simply because we don't run any fanciness. But you're not
really in that class of content serving, so I'd serious think about the
efficiency-to-you of a CMS with a serving cache.

-glen