David Lyon wrote:
<snip>
In any case just because it is rated at 700W doesn't mean that the
computer is using 700W.
<snip>

Unfortunately, when it comes to power generation, it is the peak load that
needs to be catered for.

So, if on a hot day, you do a CPU hungry simulation or compile, which
causes your computer to increase its power intake and the heat it generates,
which  increases the demand on the air conditioning
and this happens all over Sydney...then we have to decide, whether something
gives or we build an even bigger power station.

Unless ofcourse, on hot days we can have the confidence or agree to rely
on an increase in Solar Energy generation to meet the peak demand.

Alternatively, we could build old fashioned fuses into our electrical circuits
to limit peak demand.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuse_%28electrical%29>

Marghanita
--