On 07/01/2014, at 9:00 AM, slug-requ...@slug.org.au wrote:

> I am in the process of setting up a Data Base for my Marketing clients and
> and I am wondering what people on the list use and what anyone could
> recommend for a small to medium sized business where I will be managing
> client data and I would as well like to back it up to a cloud server.
>
> I am also looking for a client management system where I can set up events
> such as automatic reminders, and Birthday greetings and the like and I am
> as well looking to back that up to a secure cloud server.

Choose the DB that you fancy.
I found mysql slightly easier than postgres but I tried postgres first so maybe
just further along the learning curve.

Despite all the hype IMHO using cloud is really really dumb

- There is no privacy
- It costs to put data in
- It costs to get data out
- it's s*l*o*w

The features you want are application dependant, get a DB for your app or write
one in say php.

People like (and there are many, but say) http://bluehost.com will offer a
server for some $4 or $5 per month.
You can implement OwnCloud on it (I have done so)
Their up/down load speeds are good
They backup, but of course you need to backup important stuff too
They offer ssh access to your server

James