I've just had my smartphone stolen.

I asked a friend to dial the number: I can hear it ringing.

Asked the police forensic expert - can it be triangulated? Yes, but (always
there's a but). In the cities, where the uprights are in high
concentration, triangulation can be accurate to within a couple of metres.
In the country (where I live), with the uprights widely spaced, accuracy
goes out to a couple of kilometres.

So I got to thinking. Isn't there an app, which, when installed on the
phone, enables you to contact the phone (ie., it must merely be on), send a
password/code (whether the phone is answered/not): the phone then takes a
GPS reading and transmits it to the caller?

Or have I been reading too many sci-fi novels?

Any help etc.

Somewhat disgustedly,

William Bennett.