https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager

If you go the google play store (assuming android phone), you can tell
it to install the android device manager app remotely. Unfortunately,
for all these style apps, you have to have your phone to enable the
location services so that this will work to actually locate your phone
:-(

On 26 February 2014 16:38, William Bennett <wrbennet...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've just had my smartphone stolen.
>
> I asked a friend to dial the number: I can hear it ringing.
>
> Asked the police forensic expert - can it be triangulated? Yes, but (always
> there's a but). In the cities, where the uprights are in high
> concentration, triangulation can be accurate to within a couple of metres.
> In the country (where I live), with the uprights widely spaced, accuracy
> goes out to a couple of kilometres.
>
> So I got to thinking. Isn't there an app, which, when installed on the
> phone, enables you to contact the phone (ie., it must merely be on), send a
> password/code (whether the phone is answered/not): the phone then takes a
> GPS reading and transmits it to the caller?
>
> Or have I been reading too many sci-fi novels?
>
> Any help etc.
>
> Somewhat disgustedly,
>
> William Bennett.
> --

Norman Gaywood, Computer Systems Officer
University of New England, Armidale,
NSW 2351, Australia

ngayw...@une.edu.au            Phone: +61 (0)2 6773 2412
http://mcs.une.edu.au/~norm    Fax:   +61 (0)2 6773 3312

Please avoid sending me Word or Power Point attachments.