This isn't going to be an issue with sata vs whatever (though I do suggest running in ahci mode if thats an option)

The issue is probably going to be how mdadm is growing the array, it will need to do a buttload of disk access to do that reading and writing every sector on every disk and trying to keep everything in a consistent state while doing so.

I don't know if it applies to whatever raid level you are using but is there something like an --assume-clean option you can pass it?
I'd also suggest asking in the mdadm list or perhaps IRC.
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1056831 might be of interest.