If you want to grep for multiple strings in the same file, and exit if any
of them is found, it is more efficient (and I think more maintainable) to
specify them in one line:

grep -q -e test2 -e test3 file2 && exit 0

The "-q" is --quiet - just to suppress the output if you aren't interested
in it (in this case you are only interested in the exit status, not the
output). The -e flag introduces each search term.

If the list of strings to look for is longer or variable then you can feed
it to grep from a file using -f.

See "man grep" for all the details.

On 19 March 2014 18:22, <li...@sbt.net.au> wrote:

> > grep "test2" file2 && exit 0
>
> Peter,
>
> thanks, I'll try that
>
> so, I could use multiple conditions like so:
>
> grep "test2" file2 && exit 0
> grep "test3" file2 && exit 0
>
> ? thanks
>

> --