Hi folks,

I was wondering what is the best (as in most efficient method) for doing an automated, scheduled recursive search and DEL exercise. The scheduled part is just a cron job, no problem. But what's the most efficient method to loop a given structure and remove all (non-empty) directories below the top dir?

The 3 examples I've come up with are;

find <top_dir> -name <name_to_find_and_DEL> -exec rm -rf {} \; - what's the '\' for and is it necessary?

rm -rf `find <top_dir> -type d -name <name_to_find_and_DEL>` - does it actually require the ' ` ' or are ' ' ' good enough?

find <top_dir> -name '<name_to_find_and_DEL>' -type d -delete - or won't this work for a non-empty dir?

Or is there a more efficient manner which I can slot into a cron job?

Much appreciate the input.