Thanks to all for the responses.

Interestingly, everyone has come back with "find" (followed by......) as the best option. Perhaps this is simply a reflection of the fact my 3 examples all used 'find'.

I have always thought (believed) 'find' was a less efficient process than 'locate' and kind of hoped 'locate' (or some other cmd I don't know) might pop up as a solution. I understand 'locate' depends on an updated 'db', but I figured that indexing process was still more efficient than 'find' trawling the structure in realtime.

Kyle