Hi Christopher,

You're right that this Akamai hostdoesnt like my location, and you're right
that Bind and DNS *alone* arent going to resolve that.

But the bigger part of my "fix" that I havent revealed is that I change the
ip address of hosts to point to loop-back addresses on a server in the US,
which then does a TCP redirect to the original host, and this lets me
bypass georestrictions quite nicely.

For example:

My computer requests secure.netflix.com
My internal DNS says that host is at 192.168.1.20
My computer opens a TCP connection (port 80 or 443) to 192.168.1.20
The daemon listening on 192.168.1.20 on my server in the U.S then
redirects/rewrites the connection to the hoist secure.netflix.com

Theres no proxying involved because the requests are often over SSL and so
my machine in the middle breaks the SSL security. Its simply a TCP port
redirect.

So that works perfectly for Netflix because any part of that service that
cares about Geolocation is in the Netflix domain.

Hulu on the other hand, has services that are outside of the Hulu domain
that take issue with my location - a248.e.akamai.net.

you might be wondering why i dont just use a VPN?

Well I dont want to tunnel all streaming traffic accross it and Netflix
doesnt require all connections to be from the U.S. Only when you browse the
Netflix catalog and when you chose a show/movie to watch does the service
check location, after that the web browser, Apple TV, other media device is
redirected to a CDN to stream the content. and that CDN doesnt care where I
am from. So I get better throughput by not tunnelling the video stream.

Now a hosts file would fix this problem very nicely.....but Apple TV doesnt
have a hosts that is accessible and thats where I do most my streaming from.

Interestingly, I can watch Hulu on my PC with my current setup with zero
problems. Its when I try on the Apple TV that it talks to a248.e.akamai.net
and throws an error that I'm outside the U.S.

--
Kind Regards,

Christopher Barnes

e. chris.p.bar...@gmail.com