So you have your own server in the US. I would suggest Netflix is seeing
that server's public IP address in the US as the origin of requests, which
means you get Netflix's approval to download. I don't think the proxy vs
port forwarding thing makes a difference.

The apparent difference between Hulu's CDN (Akamai) and Netflix's CDN (I
dunno) is that Akamai also checks your location while Netflix's CDN doesn't.

As I said, Akamai will most likely be doing geoip on your IP address, which
you can only change if you go through your US server. Again, proxy vs port
forwarding shouldn't make a difference, unless Akamai is also checking
X-Forwarded-For.

DNS fiddles won't change the apparent location of any machine.

--
Christopher Vance