Though I hope everyone is putting the bash shellshock patching in
their rearview mirror, it might still help to be aware of a change to
function exports that the latest version introduced.  Instead of the
corresponding environment variable being named "myfunction", it's now
"BASH_FUNC_myfunction()".

This caused a bit of trouble for us when we patched some head nodes
before compute nodes.  Since job environments are created on the
submission host, but run on the compute host, the compute hosts didn't
understand/accept the environment variable definition.  Along with the
error message, our jobs lost the ability to load software environment
modules (which is implemented with bash functions).

Though not specific to Slurm, I think it's relevant here because of
the sharing of environments across hosts that comes up in this
context.  We wrote up a bit more detail here:

https://rc.fas.harvard.edu/shellshock-update-issue-temporarily-affecting-slurm-jobs-software-modules/

Hope that helps someone,

John

John Brunelle
Harvard University FAS Research Computing, Informatics and Scientific
Applications
john_brune...@harvard.edu  @jabrcx