Hi Manuel,

    Manuel> Hi all, I have the intention of working on Slurm, modifying
    Manuel> it to satisfy my needs and (hopefully) include some new
    Manuel> functionalities. I am however kind of newbie with this kind
    Manuel> of software development, so I am writing looking for
    Manuel> advise. My question is, can you recommend me any tools for
    Manuel> the development of slurm?

I agree with Andy, that it's best to view this as 2 separate tasks (cluster
setup/management + slurm development).

For your cluster setup, you could use Qlustar which will allow you to
easily setup a ready to run virtual demo cluster incl. a functioning
slurm and OpenMPI in about 30 min (no exaggeration, just follow
https://www.qlustar.com/book/docs/install-guide
and https://www.qlustar.com/book/docs/first-steps).
The Qlustar Basic Edition is free for academic usage and has everything
needed for your use case.

Once setup, you have all the tools of Ubuntu or Debian at your
finger-tips to jump into development.

Good luck,

Roland

-------
http://www.q-leap.com / http://qlustar.com
          --- HPC / Storage / Cloud Linux Cluster OS ---