On 01/21/2015 09:23 AM, Bill Wichser wrote:

A user underneath gets the expected 0.009091 normalized shares since there are a lot of fairshare=1 users there. The user3 gets basically 25x this value as the fairshare for user3=25

Yet the normalized shares is actually MORE than the normalized shares for the account as a whole. What should I make of this?

This is actually by design in Fair Tree and is different from other algorithms. The manpage for sshare covers this under "FAIR_TREE MODIFICATIONS". The manpage states that Norm Shares is "The shares assigned to the user or account normalized to the total number of assigned shares within the level." Basically, the Norm Shares is the association's raw shares value divided by the sum of it and its sibling associations' assigned raw shares values. For example, if an account has 10 users, each having 1 assigned raw share, the Norm Shares value will be .1 for each of those users under Fair Tree.

Fair Tree only uses Norm Shares and Effective Usage (the other sshare field that's modified) when comparing sibling associations. Our Slurm UG presentation slides also mention this on pages 35 and 76 (http://slurm.schedmd.com/SUG14/fair_tree.pdf).

Ryan