I started off writing there’s really no particular process for these/just do
your changes and start the new software (be mindful of any PATH that might
contain data that’s under your software tree, if you have that setup), and that
you might need to watch the timeouts, but I figured I’d have a look at the
upgrade guide to be sure.

There’s really nothing onerous in there. I’d personally back up my database and
state save directories just because I’d rather be safe than sorry, or for if
have to go backwards and want to be sure. You can run SlurmCtld for a good
while with no database (note that -M on the command line will be broken during
that time), just being mindful of the RAM on the SlurmCtld machine/don’t
restart it before the DB is back up, and backing up our fairly large database
doesn’t take all that long. Whether or not 5 is required mostly depends on how
long you think it will take you to do 6-11 (which could really take you seconds
if your process is really as simple as stop, change symlink, start), 12 you’re
going to do no matter what, 13 you don’t need if you skipped 5, and 14 is up to
you. So practically, that’s what you’re going to do anyway.

We just did an upgrade last week, and the only difference is that our compute
nodes are stateless, so the compute node upgrades were a reboot (we could
upgrade them running, but we did it during a maintenance period anyway, so
why?).

If you want to do this with running jobs, I’d definitely back up the state save
directory, but as long as you watch the timeouts, it’s pretty uneventful. You
won’t have that long database upgrade period, since no database modifications
will be required, so it’s pretty much like upgrading anything else.

--
#BlackLivesMatter
____
||_// the State  |         Ryan Novosielski - novos...@rutgers.edu
|| \\ University | Sr. Technologist - 973/972.0922 (2x0922) ~*~ RBHS Campus
||  \\    of NJ  | Office of Advanced Research Computing - MSB A555B, Newark
     `'