Wow, resurrecting a thread from 2013 with my email address from my previous
employer. Okay, let's jump in.

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 3:47 AM, Fred Liu <fred_...@issi.com> wrote:

> We noticed that GUI since SL7.2 did not work with the low resolution
> 1024x768 which is the default-detected resolution from SmartOS vnc server.

That might have to do with the default amount of video memory QEMU gives
the VM. You may be able to change that with qemu_extra_opts. I've only ever
done that to the QXL device rather than the default VGA device so I don't
know what the variable you'd need to set would be.

Is there a way to configure the vnc to run in higher resolution like
> 1280x1024? And I don't need to hack Linux to forcedly run in higher
> resolution.

I think what you're asking is "How do I make all changes on the
SmartOS/QEMU/Client side so that I don't have to make any changes within
the guest OS?"

The first thing I would try to do is force the VNC client to try to connect
at a higher resolution. That might be enough to jolt the X server up to the
higher resolution so that the login UI will be able to render correctly.

Figuring out what arguments to add to qemu_extra_opts is what I would
explore second.

> BTW, is spice stable enough on SmartOS?

My old email address which was CCd on your message was from my time at
Elysium Digital which was acquired by Stroz Friedberg[1] in 2015 and which
I left in March of this year (2016).
When I left, ~50 people in that Boston office were still using Spice
enabled VMs (running Fedora as the guest OS) on SmartOS as their primary
work systems every day which they had been doing for years.
I would have argued then that for some value of stable, that counted.

I do not know if that system is still in use, and even if it is, it
probably won't be for much longer.
For a while after I left I was still regularly using a Spice enabled Fedora
VM on my home server for most of my personal stuff.
At this point most of what I was doing on it has been split apart between a
Mac laptop and a Centos 7 LX branded zone on the SmartOS machine.
Which means that the Spice for SmartOS work is currently dormant in terms
of my time and I'm pretty sure no one else is actively developing it.

So it may be somewhat stable, but it's kind of rotting on the vine at this
point.

<shameless self promotion>
If anyone out there is using the Spice enabled QEMU code and needs support,
my current employer, OmniTI, is a consulting company and can sell you my
time to work on it.
</shameless self promotion>

-Nahum

[1] Stroz Friedberg has since been acquired by Aon