Hi Enrico!

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 21:36:33 +0100, Enrico Zini wrote:
> I've changed microSD card and now I can use the FreeRunner as a
> phone(ish) a bit more.  However, the default FSO ringtone is not
> something that can be acceptably blasted at full volume in any of the
> social circles that I associate with[1].

I planned to do this a long time ago, but I have never did:
fso-sounds-yue-base should become the default one any fso-config-*
package depends on, if not at least because of licensing issues.  Done:

http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-fso/fso-frameworkd.git;a=commitdiff;h=5af215c0a7c426e2fa174846276fd3e6f36aabd9
http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-fso/openmoko-files.git;a=commitdiff;h=ca801cfaec3645dca833aba82c2b00436781ea5b

Please let me know if I need to upload a new package just for this
change: I would say so, but since we are not in a hurry...

> How do I change the ringtone in Debian?

# update-alternatives --config fso-frameworkd-default-sounds.yaml

> I have installed fso-sounds-yue-base and fso-sounds-yue-full but I
> still get Arkanoid_PSID.sid

This because the priority of every config file is at 20, thus Arkanoid
wins.  Maybe should be set the priority of the yue sounds to higher
levels?

> Neither fso-sounds-yue-base nor fso-sounds-yue-full have any useful
> information in /usr/share/doc.

The documentation is in /usr/share/doc/fso-frameworkd/README.Debian:

* fso-sounds virtual package

At least two sound files are needed, the ring- and message-tones, to
be placed in /usr/share/sounds.  Each package shipping these two
sounds must provide the virtual package fso-sounds and its name must
be in the form fso-sounds-$ORIGIN.

The default upstream FSO frameworkd profile lists these sounds in
/etc/freesmartphone/opreferences/conf/phone/default.yaml.  However, to
allow an easier customization, each fso-sounds-* package should
provide a phone file named after the $ORIGIN part of the package name,
to be installed into /usr/share/fso-sounds-rules.  This file should
then be registered as an alternative for the upstream default file
through update-alternatives.  The fso-sounds-none package can be used
as an example.

If you want to know a list of all availables fso-sounds-* package,
please use `apt-cache showpkg fso-sounds`, section "Reverse Provides".

I would say that this is the correct location for such documentation,
since you want to use it with fso-frameworkd.  However, we can add a
note in the fso-sounds-* packages as well, simply pointing at the
fso-frameworkd README.Debian.

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca