> which boot manager and what medium do you boot from?
> in case of u-boot, the current kernel has to be flashed to the matching
> flash partition. take the uimage from he kernel package and dfu-util it.

U-boot is very flexible, and may boot from almost anywhere.

Including a file on ext2 filesystem on SD card - which is what debian uses.

P.S.
Could someone please explain me what is so wrong with u-boot, so people
wrote qi?
My many-year experience of using and porting u-boot on wide range of
embedded hardware is extremely positive...