> nikita pointed out that u-boot is csapable to boot kernels from
> elsewhere, but iirc the only location used on the fr has been mtd3, at
> least with the commonly used u-boot env.

No.
I don't remember how exactly I configured bootloader after installing
Debian - it was half-a-year-ago - but I did not do it manually, I followed
some instructions from wiki. And resulted into u-boot configured to boot
from ext2 on SD.

> as said before, the u-boot env contains the information, what location
> is used to boot the kernel from.

Jens, please install uboot-envtools package,
copy /usr/share/doc/uboob-envtools/openmoko_gta02.config
to /etc/fw_env.config, run fw_printenv, and check bootcmd variable.

It shood explain things.

Nikita