... so moving the pickle file out of the way ...
rm /var/lib/freesmartphone/ogpsd.pickle

... restoring /etc/frameworkd.conf ...
[ogpsd]
device = GTA02Device

... going outside ...
and theres a fix within 60 seconds!

I didn't have quite this much success. The GPS did go back to sending UBX data, which is good, but after some time (10 mins?) it still had no fix, though it had got the time so maybe it was just being slow at getting a fix). I turned the GPS off then on again, and it was back to sending NMEA data. So I had to delete the pickle file again, and apparently the same each time I turn off the GPS.

Also, although I can see the time in the UBX data, requesting the time through dbus doesn't work. Likewise fso-gpsd doesn't appear to receive any data. So it looks like some other problem in ogpsd? I'd take a look if I knew where to start.

I know there's no hardware problem because the GPS works fine with other distros.

Cheers,
Jonathan