if in zhone I click on "Exit zhone", it shuts down the whole phone. This
also happens if I just run zhone from a terminal. I do not consider it
appropriate. Actually, I consider it a bit silly.

iirc, in the days of yore zhone was created with the idea of running as main application and kind of launcher. meaning, it would be the first app and the last app, managing, of course, shutdown. it did never live up to that and, being a testapp, was never "fixed" -- if you need it to be different, tweak it yourself and send patches, afaik.

Is there a way to change this behaviour to just have zhone exit cleanly,
without rebooting?

well, have a look at it -- after all, /usr/bin/zhone is plain python, shouldn't be too hard to find the offending line and change it.