On Friday 04 December 2009, Steven Jones wrote:
> arne anka wrote:
> > try to set a password on the fr directly? doesn't shr still use root as
> > defaul user?
> > if not, try with su. maybe only the ssh configuration is messed up.
>
> i did try directly on the fr, to no avail. i also set the password
> manually on the fr, but that did not help either.
> it seems it is an issue with how ssh is configured. i tried:
> ssh r...@localhost
> on the fr, and it was rejected as well with the invalid password message.

With the 30th november image plus opkg upgrade today shr-u is using root
without a password set. ssh sensibly denies access because there is no
password set, giving the 'invalid password' message, so in the terminal on fr
you need to set a password with passwd. After I did this ssh worked.

> is there a comparison of how ssh is configured for the earlier releases
> versus the current release?

Previous releases used dropbear but now it uses openssh. I don't know if
there's a feature by feature comparison of the configuration.

> i am also trying to figure out how to disable suspending, because the
> connection keeps dropping, and back and forth from computer to phone i
> have the press the power button, then i have to re-establish networking,
> etc. i can't change the power settings via the gui (they don't respond
> to the +10, +1, or either of the other buttons), and was trying to find
> how to change them via command line.

I haven't seen this, but a number of problems with the settings app were fixed
by the opkg upgrade. If you booted with the usb plugged in you could try
unplugging it then plugging in again. IIRC there's a known issue with usb
detection when it's plugged in at boot.