Thanks Graham,
Part of the problem is that this message:-  "Do you want to try to reopen its
window..." itself freezes. Clicking on "Don't Reopen" or "Reopen" doesn't work.
I've had a quick look at Console, but can't find any information there that
seems to refer to Open Office. (Don't really understand Console language)

Phil