Hi all,

Just thought I’d pass on a tip (which probably everyone else but me is aware
of!). When reinstalling macOS from the recovery partition you have to click the
“Continue” button. When you do it slides down a sheet stating that "to download
and restore Mac OS X, your computer's eligibility will be verified with Apple”.
In my case, when I clicked Continue, it returned to the previous screen. I
didn’t know if anything was happening so I waited a while. Nothing. I clicked
Continue, got the same sheet and the same result. Hmm. After a third time I
left it all night but still the same this morning!

Searching the web reveals the simple answer - no WiFi, as it doesn’t know how
to connect any more! There is no message to say that there is no network,
nothing to say it could not connect to Apple, it just fails silently. On a
normal screen you might expect this, but when running something so infrequently
it’s not the first thing that came to mind. In the top right hand corner of the
screen, in faint grey, is the WiFi menubar icon. I clicked it, supplied the
password and connected. Trying the install again it’s all fine.

I’ve reported this to Apple so that hopefully they can add some extra info…

Thought I’d give first dibs for my iMac to you lovely SMUGgers:

Mid-2011 21.5” i5 iMac, 500GB disk, 12GB RAM, Superdrive, macOS 10.12.3
Wireless keyboard and trackpad and battery charger with 6 batteries. Excellent
condition and complete with original box and packing. I’m selling it due to
buying a MacBook Pro and two computers seems like one too many! It’s going for
£350 ono. Let me know off-list if you’re interested. I live in coastal Essex
now but can bring it to you within reasonable distance … Any questions, please
ask.

Thanks for listening.

Stephen

"I haven’t a clue whether we humans will live for another 100 or 10,000 years.
We can’t be sure. What matters to me is the fact we have fallen out of a very
ancient love affair – a kind of dream tangle, with the Earth itself.” ~ Martin
Shaw