Hi there.

My 2011 iMac has finally stopped playing DVDs. It as been a bit hit and miss
for ages - I’ve used a can of compressed air a few times over the past couple
of years to jog it back into life but now it really is just refusing to play
anything.  This morning I read online to wrap a credit card in a specsaver type
of cloth and gently insert that into the slot and move it around a bit to see
if that helped. It didn’t. Nothing plays at all.

As it is an elderly machine, I don’t think it will be worth having the unit
replaced - even if this is possible - and I wondered it an external USB DVD
drive would work?  I thought I would ask before splashing out on one just in
case they don’t work at all …

Thank you!

Andrew