Thanks Virginia

I tried searching for a couple of my deleted files but Dropbox cant find them

What I actually want to do is find them on the desktop on my own hard drive. Or
could it be that Dropbox has ’stolen’ my Desktop folder ? - can it do that? it
certainly seems that way

Compounding my frustration is the total lack of actual human help on the
dropbox website.

You corresponded with Ross, who although  handy with the cut and paste, may
actually link to a human

How did you escalate your particular query to get to email correspondence with
them?

Thanks in advance

Ash