Hello all,

Big Sur allows Time Machine to backup to an APFS formatted drive. Apart from
just being a modern and robust filing system, it’s much faster to perform TM
backups than HFS+ according to what I’ve seen. I planned to reformat my WD
Passport drive using Disk Utility for speed and reliability improvements.

The problem is that the format fails because fseventsd is using the drive. I
could kill it in Activity Monitor I suppose but I don’t know if that’s wise …

Any thoughts, or should I just carry on using HFS+?

I’ve downloaded the latest WD Utility app which has an erase option but it
still only offers HFS+J.

Cheers,

Stephen

"My nephew asked me what a Conservative is, so I stole half his toys and gave
them to the rich family next door." ~ unknown