THE DEAL After his father is sent to jail for creative accounting, widower Michael Bluth (Jason Bateman, above center) must manage the affairs of his socialite mom, two clueless brothers, his style-obsessed sister (Portia de Rossi, above right), and her possibly gay husband (David Cross), all while raising a son of his own (Michael Cera, above left). Best of all? No laugh track.

WHAT IT'S LIKE Bateman has described the show as ''The Royal Tenenbaums'' shot like ''COPS.''

FUN FACT The SoCal-based show shares the same turf as "The O.C." But we're betting against a crossover.

WHY WE CAN'T WAIT We've been wondering whatever happened to "Ally McBeal" alum de Rossi and "Teen Wolf" star Bateman.

WHY WE'RE HOOKED Early buzz on the show is that the comedy is biting and brilliant -- plus, exec producer Ron Howard narrates. Bitter Opie? We're in.